Friday, October 30, 2009

Logan's Run

We're down to 6 designers this week: 4 girls and 2 boys left. It's almost over, and I must say I'm relieved at the prospect of getting a new crop of designers. This group has been disappointing to me.
This week's challenge: Create a companion piece for your best look. They seemed to indicate that the designers did not get to choose their best look, with the turn around reveal. All of them had challenge-winning looks on the stage except Logan, whose look was selected from the first challenge where Christopher won.
I don't dislike the remaining designers' best looks - but does anyone notice how colorless and monochromatic they are? I want some vibrant color. I'll die if the Bryant Park shows are all brown and black.
They are given time to sketch - I swear I heard a lot of talk about pants, but only one pair showed up in the end, and then $100 in Mood money.
Irina claims to be good at spending money - no surprise there.

They all head back to the work room and Gordana does a tension monologue. Suddenly, the tension orchestra cues and all the close-ups show agonized faces. It's easy to create tension through editing, isn't it crappy production company?

Then the producers kick into a humble beginnings theme for the bottom two designers. Logan does the born in humble Idaho routine and Gordana blows him out of the water with her Bosnian/Serbian border number. No wonder he lost.

While Logan works on his outfit, Althea and Irina are kicking it high school mean girls style, eating In & Out and talking gossipy smack on him.
Since when is anyone friends with Irina?
Obviously, big mistake since Irina turns on Althea a few hours later in front of the judges.

Althea is the first to identify the Logan effect and says of Logan "He thinks because he's cute he can do whatever he wants." Maybe she broke the spell?
I'm sure it didn't help him that the judges/producers had to reflect on the designer's past work product for this challenge - he doesn't really have anything worth a second look.

Irina turns on Althea calling her "insane and drunk" for copying her knitwear in her Aspen look.

The judges this week:
Nick Verreos (from Season 2 of Project Runway aka the good ol days)
Nina Garcia
Kerry Washington

Photobucket
Althea
PhotobucketPhotobucket
BEST LOOK (episode 4):
Photobucket
That either of these won boggles my mind. Really. I think the paper bag waist is a sloppy style. I think the new look is crazy bag lady sloppy with that shapeless sweater. I don't understand why the tops she makes are always so unsupportive and nipple-y. I think it's a hot mess and I would never have chosen it as the winner.

Photobucket
Carol Hannah
PhotobucketPhotobucket
BEST LOOK (episode 9):
Photobucket
Maybe a bit plain - but super cute and pretty.

Photobucket
Chris
PhotobucketPhotobucket
BEST LOOK (episode 1):
Photobucket
I was completely torn on this. It really is two different dresses. The black and the applique are gorgeous and the heavy white petticoats are not. It would've been transformed by an airy chiffon under the applique - in some color other than white!

Photobucket
Gordana
PhotobucketPhotobucket
BEST LOOK (episode 8):
Photobucket
Drab. Bland. Gordana. I was surprised that this won over Logan's design, but I'm sure she is destined for the chopping block.

Photobucket
Irina
PhotobucketPhotobucket
BEST LOOK (episode 10):
Photobucket
It's nice. I get the feeling every time I see one of her designs that it would make the average woman look like a fat Russian prostitute (aka Mariah Carey) but is only saved by the coat hanger model frame. Plus, she's a bitch.

Photobucket
Logan
PhotobucketPhotobucket
BEST LOOK (also episode 1):
Photobucket
I kinda liked it. It reminded me of costumes from the movie Hackers.
PhotobucketPhotobucket
It wasn't really a couture design...and I think that Logan doesn't deserve to hit Bryant Park, so I'm not gonna cry about it.

Final 3:
1. Irina
2. Carol Hannah
2. Althea

7 comments:

Unknown said...

FUCK YOU.

Unknown said...

I's gonna be a bigtime moviestar now and everyones is gonna wants my clothes. Oprah says go see PRECIOUS! Where did I leave my vagina?

Unknown said...

I like to drink people's leftover wine at restaurants.

Unknown said...

My therapist says I have self esteem issues.

Unknown said...

I'll let you touch my boobs for a dollar.

Unknown said...

I wash myself with a rag on a stick.

Unknown said...

Why does my mouth taste like urinal?