Friday, October 2, 2009

Blue Velvet

Heidi is loving the stupid challenge "jokes" to open runway episodes this season. She teased the designers with the enigmatic (and factually incorrect) "this next challenge with be quite...colorful." Shirin made another stupid supposition wondering if the challenge will be sewing colorful parachutes together. If only!
Tim is paired with another sponsor tie-in bot: Martine Reardon from Macy's corporate marketing. The timing is unfortunate considering the current news buzz about the possible bankruptcy of Macy's.
The designers are informed that they must use the color blue and design a piece for Macy's INC brand. Wow, what an interesting challenge! *eyeroll*
Martine gives her company the ultimate backhanded compliment by stating that the "best thing abot this brand [INC] is it's only available at Macy's."
I wholeheartedly agree with her. I would be pretty bummed out if I ran into INC in other places, since (in my opinion) it's a shitty, overpriced brand.
The designers are also informed that this is a team challenge and that the winner does not have immunity this week. Unsurprisingly, the results or this challenge were grossly mediocre.
There was some Nicolas talking smack on Louise, Epperson talking smack on Q, Tim talking smack on leggings (couldn't agree more), and Nicolas talking about how much he hates ruffles.
Maybe ruffles hate YOU, Nicolas. I know I do.
Judging:
I didn't know that INC makes shoes now too, yet another reason to avoid Macy's.
Michael Kors is back and I bet he's regretting it.
We also have Zanna Roberts from Marie Claire, and Martine Reardon again.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Althea and Logan
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
That suit is not modern so much as slutty (that skirt is invisible).
The pants are fine, but I don't care for the top.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Carol Hannah and Shirin
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
I love a high waisted skirt, and this one is cute. I like the whole thing, but it reads a little flight attendant-y or something service oriented.
I like the top and the belt, but leggings ARE NOT PANTS. I wish they had made some skinny jeans instead.
This was much better than the Irina/Gordana crap.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Chris and Epperson
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
I agree about the first being off. I don't like the neckline. I have always hated bubble hem. The second, I just don't think it's that bad. It's not super feminine, but I think they were bashing it excessively.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Irina and Gordana
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
I may be in the minority or crazy, but I hate that dress. I don't like stripes, but I think the top is overexposed, it makes the model looks fat, and the hem is an awkward length. I know that the choices this week were few and everything was pretty boring/ugly (but hey, so is the INC brand in general) but I was kinda flabbergasted by the judges gushing over this.
I thought Gordana's top looked nice on tv, but I really think it looks cheap in these stills.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Louise and Nicolas
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Both suck.

So, quite unfathomably, Irina won - her prize: to design an INC holiday dress for select Macy's stores. Look what she made:
Photobucket
This looks custom designed for Mariah Carey. What a cheap, tacky-crap ho "dress". I hate it. Perfect for INC.

Heidi was unusually cruel this week and I felt a bit bad for Louise and weepy Chris. Louise was the right choice to be aufed, and I did delight in Heidi telling Nicolas he was lucky he had immunity for the 10th time. Heh heh.

The wheels in my head have been turning, as the designers get whittled down, about a certain gentleman by the name of Logan. Here is my "Logan Hypothesis".
Logan is PR kryptonite. As far as I recall, he is the first HOT STRAIGHT MALE the show has EVER had as a contestant. Please tell me if I am wrong on this.
What this means: all of the women are in love with him (and think they might have a chance since he's supposed to be straight), all of the men are in love with him (because let's face it, he's the ONLY straight guy in front of the camera) and think that he might be a closet gay - or at least bi (because how many straight male fashion designers are there?). What does this mean? NO ONE wants to get rid of him. He has never been in the bottom, despite never making anything interesting. One guest judge (at least) has hit on him. I think he will skate all the way to Bryant Park, if not win, on raw sexuality alone. But I guess we have to watch what happens...

Top 3
1. Logan
2. Carol Hannah
3. Shirin

1 comment:

Stu said...

Irina reminds me of a little someone named Verlaine...