Friday, November 6, 2009

Art School Confidential

This runway episode is the last challenge. Heidi makes a crack about views and I yell Getty at the t.v. and hedge my bets with "or Hollywood sign".
The designers think it's a sign of how very serious Project Runway is - with LA Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa showing up to welcome them to the Getty challenge.
Whereas I, being a (somewhat cynical) realist, realize that it's nothing more than our second-rate mayor being a media whore.
Tim G. takes the five remaining designers on a 30 minute tour of the Getty. It's
all rainbows and sunshine as the designers find their inspirations.
The designers are given 30 minutes to sketch and are transported to Mood for their last visit.

Chris is still doing his Cinderella routine - I can't believe someone like ME is HERE.
Everyone has paired up and Althea is the odd Amazon out.

Tim was cracking me up this episode. Calling Irina's goat cape "roadkill" and her look "a post-apocalyptic moment" and then that delightful cackle.
Plus, there was that hilarious crack about Nina's stilettos shooting off her feet.

Gordana is super emotional about Monet and her dress, appealing to the audience on a spiritual level. I like Monet as much as the next guy, but Monet is so bland as an inspiraiton - pure gift shop material. His paintings fall perfectly in line with meek Gordana's grey aesthetic.

"I'm here for the final challenge, how many can say that?"
Um, 5?

Chris describes himself as a designer - "pretty but kinda dirty."
Me - "good ideas, but messy results"

Althea was so busy shooting laser beams out of her eyes at Irina she stabbed her model with a pin - poor thing, she barely missed a vital organ.

The judges this week:
Cynthia Rowley
Nina Garcia
Cindy Crawford (gorgeous)

Photobucket
Althea
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Inspiration = Getty Center Architecture:
Photobucket
Very messy. I can see the architecture connection, but the design is made to look all the worse since the Getty building has such clean lines.

Photobucket
Carol Hannah
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Inspiration = French Bed:
Photobucket
Call me crazy, but I saw it more as
Inspiration = Disney:
Photobucket
It's a gorgeous and flattering red carpet ready dress. It's also very safe and kinda bland considering the inspiration.

Photobucket
Christopher
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Inspiration = Algae-covered Rock Fountain:
Photobucket
I like the idea - but the judges nailed it: poor textile choices, lacking execution.
I think that Gordana and Chris should form a design team where he sketches and she makes the garments. They could learn from each other.

Photobucket
Gordana
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Inspiration = Claude Monet's The Portrait of Rouen Cathedral in Morning Light:
Photobucket
The dress is fine. Not transcendant, not ugly. The back is worse than the front, as Nina observed.

Photobucket
Irina
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Inspiration = John William Godward's Mischief and Repose:
Photobucket
I can see the inspiration here; she's trying to make a stick figure look rubenesque. The color and the back are nice. The dress as a whole is a big fail. It looks more like a bad gypsy costume than a lounging Grecian goddess.

The designers are asked to defend themselves and choose the three who should go on to Bryant Park.
Irina chooses Althea and Gordana
Gordana chooses Chris and Irina
Chris chooses Carol Hannah and Irina
Althea chooses Carol Hannah and Irina
Carol Hannah chooses Chris and Althea
Breakdown:
Everyone thinks Irina should go except Carol Hannah. Three think Chris should go to BP(not Althea or Irina - the two hardest chicks in the competition), three think Carol Hannah should go to BP(not Irina or Gordana), three think Althea should go to BP(not Gordana or Chris - the emotional ones who think they should go in her place - sensing weakness), and two think Gordana should go (I'm counting the designers - who want themselves to go through - as a vote; aka no one thinks she should go except herself and her best buddy Irina who obviously wants to pick off the steeper competition).

I must be getting too jaded, because Christopher's emotional I am the algae covered rocks speech did not get me. I think it got my husband a little though. heh.
Anyways, I think Chris is the biggest girl left in the competition and his crying and belly-aching was starting to give me Ricky deja vu (that's a BAD thing).

I love how Irina's Oscar speech about how she is a poor immigrant who is struggling was so hollow and rehearsed. She is obviously rich and overpriviledged, why not just say she deserves it on merit alone instead of insulting everyone's intelligence with her poor acting. She was not emotional at all on learning she had made it. She obviously expected it. Bitch.
At least Carol Hannah was gratified.

Thoughts:
I think Gordana and Christopher were the deserving parties to be sent home and that both should not have made it this far. I can't say I'm very excited about seeing the final collections with the pool left though. I would choose Carol Hannah as my favorite among the ladies, but I have no strong sentiments - other than a hope to see a lot of vomit in the next episode.

My pick for the winner, final collections sight unseen:
Carol Hannah
PS-Please stop doing smoky eye and bedhead, you look like you just rolled out of the gutter.

1 comment:

Tanner said...

I missed the pin prick. Tim's line about Nina's shoes was great. I thought the overall challenge was a really good one. Too bad nobody really rose to the occasion. When I saw the mayor I was hoping the challenge would be to design a look for his mistress. Oh well.

Yeah, Christopher was giving me Ricky vibes too with all the tears. And, like Ricky, he didn't cry when he was finally eliminated after bawling out all his tears earlier.

Irina's dress was horrible this week. It was almost as bad as Christohper's. If the judges went by this week's challenge alone, she and Christopher should have been out. I actually liked Gordanna's this week, and hers showed the clearest link to its source material. But we all knew going in that Christopher and Gordana didn't really have any business still being around, so no surprises.