Friday, September 25, 2009

A Night at the Movies

This week's PR is about movie-making. Tim and Collier Strong(yes, the man who has the stage presence of Lasagna, but keeps getting force fed to us - I wish he TASTED like Italian)...
Hmm...that sounds dirty.
Anyways, Tim and Collier present this week's challenge - Creating a look inspired by a movie genre. Tim has a pile of cards with five genres: Film Noir (3 cards), and two cards each of Sci Fi, Western, Period Piece, and Action/Adventure. I personally think it might have been more interesting if the genres were assigned randomly, but instead designers got to pick their genres after their names were drawn.
Irina picked first, and the rest went in turn.
There were few exciting quotes this week, and even fewer exciting designs. Seriously, practically every design was hugely derivitive, ugly, or boring.
I found this episode to be lackluster and I didn't agree with the judges' decisions.

The only funny bit = Shirin blathering about western costume. Have you ever seen a western?
Shirin: "We don't even have a cowboy hat, so I decided to go a completely different route and do a saloon girl."
Wow, so you decided to be original and do a Western movie costume of the same type you can buy in a bag for Halloween? You're a genius!
To prove my point, she turns to Carol Hannah and asks should I do pink and black or red and black? I'm pretty sure those are the two saloon girl in bag standard options.
Hey, I just googled Saloon Girl costume:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Busted! Someone has a penchant for slutty bag Halloween costumes.
I find this annoying because Halloween costumes generally suck, and movie costumes generally shouldn't. I don't see using Halloween costume in a bag as your design foundation being a formula for success. Seriously, can't the designers google? or is that cheating?

The judges this week are still a lackluster bunch and I am really starting to miss MK (and NG, to a lesser extent).
John Varvatos - American Designer
Zoe Glassner - Marie Claire blah blah
Arianne Phillips - Costume Designer
She's seriously done some iconic work - and they didn't mention it.
The Crow, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, and to a lesser extent Tank Girl.

Althea
Photobucket
Film Noir
Photobucket
Photobucket
Doesn't look noir to me. It looks vampy, and like something Sharon Stone would wear, but it doesn't look filmic and it doesn't particularly interest me - despite being pretty.


Carol Hannah
Photobucket
Action-Adventure
Photobucket
Photobucket
This looks like a crappy bag costume. Very Matrix blah.

Chris
Photobucket
Period Piece
Photobucket
Photobucket
At least it doesn't look shoddy or derivative, but I don't really get why the judges gushed over this. The back is quite nice; however, the front has too much going on for me. It seems schizophrenic.

Epperson
Photobucket
Western
Photobucket
This was hands down my favorite. I think it is fantastic. Obviously western, but also very modern and could translate to a runway show effortlessly. Robbed.
I know I've said it before, but seriously...Matar = Photobucket
Look at her face!


Gordana
Photobucket
Period Piece
Photobucket
Photobucket
The judges are absolutely right. All hands and no eyes. She is obviously incredibly skilled, but should be a master tailor for a REAL designer. She has no vision. This was pretty, but typical. No spark.

Irina
Photobucket
Film Noir
Photobucket
Photobucket
I don't like this. It's like a stupid lingerie house dress. It looks crappy. The white cape thing blows.

Logan
Photobucket
Action-Adventure
Photobucket
Photobucket
So boring. Tomb Raider much?

Louise
Photobucket
Film Noir
Photobucket
Photobucket
I understand why they brought this down. The others may have been derivative, but this doesn't really say anything. It's not ugly, but it's the wallflower in the room.

Nicolas
Photobucket
Sci Fi
Photobucket
Photobucket
I know, I know...but I like it. It's very Never Ending Story or Labyrinth or something. This is obviously his niche - tacky lingerie-esque 80s chic and he played to his strengths as the Feather Prince. He should make clothes for lady gaga.

Ra'mon
Photobucket
Sci Fi
Photobucket
Photobucket
Oh Ramon. I was sorry to see you go home. I didn't agree that you should go over Louise. This had potential buried somewhere inside, but one look at the back and you were history.

Shirin
Photobucket
Western
Photobucket
Photobucket
It's fine for a Halloween costume.

My Top 3
1.Althea
2.Chris
3.Shirin

Dark Horse(s):
Carol Hannah
Epperson

1 comment:

Stu said...

The dress you liked looks like something Helena Bonham Carter would wear.