Thursday, August 7, 2008

My Torch to Bear

The challenge this week was to make as many viewers' eyes bleed as possible. However, Project Runway claims it was to create a look for the opening ceremony of the summer Olympic games. Can anyone argue this wasn't an awful challenge? I would venture to say roughly 50% of the designers didn't make anything remotely athletic or sporty. Almost all of them save 1-2 didn't make anything remotely creative.
I place partial blame on the challenge itself. Yes, it has topical relevance with the Olympic games currently going on in Beijing. Yes, Apolo Ohno is certainly a good choice for a guest judge, capitalizing on his being in the public consciousness. I wouldn't have known about his tenure on Dancing with the Stars if I hadn't been watching with my mother-in-law. Ironically, I hate most reality television.
That being said, how much creativity can a designer be allowed to exercise in a challenge that seems to require both genderless athletic wear and such a limited color palette? With such polished and specialized design contestants as the show now seems to attract, can any of them think outside the box when pushed out of their comfort zone? The answer, based on this challenge, seems to be a resounding NO.

Blayne was pretty excited for this challenge. According to him "thousands and millions and billions of people" watch the opening ceremony. Oh yeah, well I hate you infinity plus one! Naah-nah nah naah-nah! I heard let the fashion games begin almost as much as I heard about Suede being Suede, the cleverness hasn't worn off, I can assure you!
Blayne talked more about tanning. Keith was a giant self important asshole, or at least he was cut that way, stealing fabric and sewing machines willy-nilly. They should give him a prop mustache to twirl. Better yet, make it out of his rat tail.
Jerell called Blayne tanorexic, which I must admit gave me a cheap chuckle. Everyone whining about Kenley laughing too much just made me shake my head. Put on an iPod or earplugs and stop yer bitching.
Blayne's Beatles ignorance was truly sickening. It's official. This child was raised by incredibly tan wolves. I can't believe Tim let him write it off to age and didn't call a rube when he saw one.
I just don't know about this crop of designers. Where's the lovable one? There are scores of Jeffreys and Santinos, but no Austin or Chris(tian)s to relieve our suffering.
Now on to the train wreck.

Blayne
Photobucket
Photobucket
Bland. What's with the asymmetrical long sleeve? First Stella and now you?


Daniel
Photobucket
Photobucket
It's a great retro flight attendant outfit/Madmen costume, but what does this have to do with athletic competition?


Jennifer
Photobucket
Photobucket
What the hell was the queen of bland thinking with this Holly Hobby dress? She should've been auf-ed last week.


Jerell
Photobucket
Photobucket
The worst yet in terms of missing the mark. I hope you made your first hat your last, you ridiculous man.


Joe
Photobucket
Photobucket
It looked like official gear, actually athletic. The skort execution was off. The front panel shouldn't have hung the way it did or been that long in relation to the shorts. Definitely not the winner.


Keith
Photobucket
Photobucket
Eh. Ugh. Crap.



Kelli
Photobucket
Photobucket
Precious western wear. I could imagine Zooey Deschanel wearing this in a She & Him music video...

Kenley
Photobucket
Photobucket
Sloppy execution, bad retro. Thank god for your get out of jail free card.


Korto
Photobucket
Photobucket
Nice. I think you were the best. Did I think anyone was great? No. I didn't notice them committing to actually using the outfits in the Olympics, since nothing good came of this challenge.


Leanne
Photobucket
Photobucket
I really liked this actually. It was a cool Jetsons kinda retro. The collar doesn't turn out as well in this photograph. I'm afraid the execution may not have been up to snuff.


Stella
Photobucket
Photobucket
Hilarious. Nothing like slutty American Gladiator type Olympians. I imagine that this would fit the image much of the rest of the world has of America.


Suede
Photobucket
Photobucket
Ridiculous. What's up with this posh cheerleader outfit?


Terri
Photobucket
Photobucket
I was not rapturous about this like the judges. Maybe it looked better in person. I'm not sure why I am in such hearty disagreement about you with them, but I am. I think your taste level is HIGHLY suspect. I couldn't believe no one said a thing about that tube top. On the runway walk, the model's chest was exploding out of it. Then in the judging panel the scarf was covering it. It kinda looked to me like it was a tube top that ended below the chest, but I can't be sure. It certainly looked poorly fitted/unfinished to me and that was enough to knock you below Korto in my opinion.

1 comment:

Tanner said...

I would argue that it wasn't an awful challenge. I liked the challenge like I like any challenge that forces the designers out of their comfort zone. The problem was with the designers. They didn't actually venture out, for the most part! I think there was a lot they COULD have done creatively within those perameters; they just didn't choose to explore it. And I completely agree that this is a lame, lame crop of designers! There are no heroes so far. There's no one yet who I can say that I would be sad if they were aufed.

Speaking of aufed, how about Jennifer's final comment??? "I think I brought a different point of view to Project Runway. With my surrealism." Really, Jennifer? I've got to say, I never saw any surrealism from her, no matter how much she talked about it. Come to think of it, I didn't really see a different point of view, either. And I'm not sure she actually knows what "surrealism" means. In fact, I'm pretty sure she doesn't