Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Haves and the Have Nots or Why I Hate Keith

This week's challenge was to create an outfit from Saturn car parts. Product placement much, Project Runway? GM created Saturn to capitalize on the interest in compact German and Japanese cars (you know, Volkswagon, Honda, Toyota - cars that people like with decent engineering and resale value) a little more than 20 years ago, and somehow, they haven't come to the realization that their experiment has failed. Nobody wants a Saturn. The only thing worse is a Daewoo.
I'm not sure why, considering the apparent credibility/marketability of Project Runway, they would tie themselves to this endless parading series of low-rent marketing duds - Bluefly, Macy's, Saturn, L'oreal (drugstore cosmetics?! que horror! How middle America!). These sponsors are the very antithesis of high fashion, the kinds of companies and products that you would be hard-pressed to even imagine seeing in the pages of Vogue. It doesn't really make sense unless this fashion parade is a rube in chic clothing...
I'll try not to bore you with my Keith-hating rantings, but hear some words from the horse's mouth:
"I'm sick of presenting these outfits that stand out so much and having them be so critical of me - so I'm gonna make sure whatever I do is more tailored and a little bit toned down"
Keith, you're not edgy and innovative like you think you are. You were already one note and boring. There was no need to edit yourself to be even more unbelievably boring in an effort to placate the judges.
"I wouldn't trust my taste, apparently it's questionable"
Though said with irony, this was the most honest and reasonable thing you said this entire episode.
"I just feel like I deserve it more than the others"
That's exactly your problem. You feel this sense of entitlement, but you did absolutely nothing to EARN it.
"Did you sit down? Oh my god, I knew you were gonna sit down!"
"I've given a small task to a model and I hope she could follow directions"
Hrm...it's strange that a tall woman might have to sit down to have her hair and makeup done! I mean, couldn't the stylists just climb a ladder so they could work on her head? Seriously, you fucktard, if you knew she was gonna sit down in hair and makeup (which btw, is both a perfectly reasonable assumption and a perfectly reasonable thing to do) why did you let her wear the skirt she couldn't sit down in down to hair and makeup in the first place?! It seemed to me the actions of a desperate man who likes to control others and was searching for an excuse for why the back of his garment looked like it was put together by Helen Keller.
I didn't believe that gay misogynists could exist until now. Thank you Mormons for creating a monster.
It was nice to see Laura again filling in for Nina and to see someone being forceful in conversation with Keith. He really needed a slice of humble pie and I'm not sure his ejection really gave it to him. Did anyone else notice what a passive aggressive man-child he was? He was slamming things and mumbling and complaining all the time.
Well, that certainly wasn't too rant-y now was it?
I loved the little tidbit about Stella's boyfriend Ratbones. Does that mean if she marries him she'll get to be Mrs. Ratbones? That's one lucky lady.
What the hell was Heidi on about with the broken mirror is seven years no sex? Maybe that's just her idea of bad luck?


Blayne
Photobucket
Photobucket
Awful. It doesn't look right at all. If it had been edited or well constructed you might have achieved something fashionable, or at least something that doesn't make me throw up in my mouth.


Jerell
Photobucket
Photobucket
I really love the top. It's very edgy and interesting. I didn't love the skirt, especially from the back it seemed too short. This was the first time I didn't find your drama too tacky and cheesy.


Joe
Photobucket
Photobucket
It didn't work for me. It wasn't cute and the fit didn't flatter. It looked like a retread of the olympics challenge, but you did have immunity, so I'm willing to overlook it.


Keith
Photobucket
Photobucket
Awful. See above. Ding dong, the bitch is dead!


Kenley
Photobucket
Photobucket
It's not horrible, but it's not right. The top is poorly executed, the skirt's proportions were okay but not great. Maybe it would've looked different with your old model, but we'll never know. I think there should've been less whining and more work tweaking the fit.


Korto
Photobucket
Photobucket
I liked it. It did seem a little too stiff to totally escape the stigma of car materials. I'm wondering if you can work without volume.


Leanne
Photobucket
Photobucket
Perfection. Well deserved win.


Stella
Photobucket
Photobucket
"How embarrassing - rushing"
The skirt was pretty, but the top and the bottom are disconnected. It didn't work as a whole. The judges were right on in that dept.


Suede
Photobucket
Photobucket
To me, this looked crappy and cheap and maybe should've been in the bottom 3.
No taste and lots of dead relatives trotted out for sympathy lately.


Terri
Photobucket
Photobucket
I didn't like it. I didn't like the pants looking like they had knee pads and shin guards. The whole thing was like a Stella design and didn't work for me.

My predicted top 3:
1. Korto
2. Leanne
3. Joe

I think Stella, Suede, and Blayne are all just shiny baubles there for entertainment value. I think Kenley is likely to get in her own way and I think Jerell and Terri both have very questionable taste. Let's watch what happens.

1 comment:

Tanner said...

Good riddance, Keith! What a whiner. I can't believe he actually invoked his doudy chicken costume in his own supposed defense! And from his crying about going back to Utah, you'd think he didn't have any choice in the matter! And that Utah was somewhere south of Hell, which it may perhaps be; I don't know.

Jarrel always talks a big game, but this is the first time he ever impressed me. Too bad for him that Leanne did something even better. But I did like his catty Terri bitching, too: "Terri's got two faces! Count 'em, one, two. Two faces and four patterns. And that's all."

Suede's was AWFUL. I don't know HOW he avoided the bottom three!!! Stella's didn't work, but Suede's was worse. Ugh.

I think your final three picks seem pretty likely...