Thursday, February 7, 2008

Leather and Lace, Bitches!

Well, I apologize for the lateness of the entry, but sometimes a geek girl has got to score tickets to a Buffy the Vampire Slayer Reunion Event. But I digress...
This episode was no doubt quite entertaining. When we saw the preview two weeks ago, my husband and I were discussing what the frightening shrieks from behind the doors signified. I thought it was sex workers and he thought it was children. Christian agreed with me though, "These sounds were so sexual. They were like sex moans." What we ended up with was female wrestlers from the WWE, so I think we were both right. They're sex workers paid to entertain children, right? I mean, they certainly maintain a high level of athleticism to pull off some of the stunts they perform, but they're also dressing up in revealing outfits to titillate people who pretend that wrestling is a real sport. Wikipedia rightly refers to WWE as "a simulated sport and performing art which combines wrestling with theater." The only people that I know into professional wrestling are kids in high school with social dysfunction (like my cousin before he lost weight and found alcohol and loose women; not to say he hasn't traded one dysfunction for another). Maybe that's why the World Wildlife Fund won their stupid acronym. Hmmm...mayhap I hate wrestling. I guess because I get the impression it puts on airs. I mean this whole episode they kept referring to all the women as "divas."
That aside, this was a quite entertaining idea for a challenge. It's especially entertaining to watch the people who think they're too good to do something in the realm of "tacky". When really, a REAL fashion designer should be able to excel at designing for ANY audience. Lucky for us, the always game and endearing Chris knows that tacky is his bread and butter. He was the only one this challenge that managed to wow me. How cute was Tim when he climbed into the ring? "Grandpa has difficulty with these ropes." I love him so.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Jillian
This was pretty cute. To me it was reminiscent of a boxer or luchador costume. It was a great color and definitely had a sense of fun and whimsy without being too skanked out.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Christian
"I've met some fierce bitches up in my life"
This seemed high fashion rather than tawdry to me, which is amazing considering this "diva" was sporting leather chaps. It didn't quite do it for me, but it didn't bother me at all. You putting hairspray on your model and then yourself was hilarious.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Ricky
This is a bathing suit! I cannot tell you how much better I liked this episode when they made you leave. It was about damn time is really all I can say. Oh yeah and your little spiel at the end about, "This isn't the end of me" had better be an empty threat. I never want to see you or your hats again.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Sweet P
This didn't bother me as much as it seemed to bother the judges. I saw the "diva" (Candice Michelle) that Sweet P designed for getting inked on the TLC show LA Ink recently, and frankly I've had enough of her to last a lifetime. Although the outfit was honestly (as she stated) just basic stripper wear, it didn't rub me the wrong way because I feel like it wasn't egregiously ugly. After all, I did make the point above that I don't feel there is a huge dividing line between a stripper and a WWE girl.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Rami
To me, this looked more like a wrestling costume than Ricky's by a mile, but it was the most offensively hideous of the group. That removable mini skirt was disgusting. His attitude stunk almost as much as his design. Where's your sense of fun, Rami?

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Chris
"Of course I ended up winning the tackiest challenge that we've had, which I find funny"
I loved it. To me it was like a bad ass Bettie Page outfit. So fun and it really did look expensive comparatively. I really hope you make it to the final 3. I do believe your taste is questionable, but I also think you will bring an interesting and ORIGINAL vision to the Bryant Park runway.

The Final 3 predictions:
1.Christian
2.Jillian
3.Chris

Off next week:
Sweet P

1 comment:

Tanner said...

What was so horrible about Sweet P's (well, on top of the fact that it looked like "basic stripper wear!") was that she missed the point entirely. Like Rami, she didn't "get" the challenge, refused to embrace the inherent tackiness like Chris and Christian did. AND she missed the point of her client's "thing." They kept saying her diva's thing was "robe and reveal." Well, the robe that Sweet P made was ALREADY revealing, so there was no burlesque to it. It failed even as "basic stripper wear" because it didn't allow the titillation of a reveal; there were just ugly scraps dangling off of an ugly costume; they didn't even conceal anything.