Thursday, February 28, 2008

Dance Wars: Chris vs Rami

First off, let me qualify all of the following opinion. I have seen the entire Bryant Park runway collections for the final five designers. I believe that I cannot make a judgment on this episode without some bias, since I have a larger perspective from which to judge then those who came into this episode blind.
This was the penultimate episode, and probably more exciting than the finale because of the unique collection face off. I was one of the many pulling for Chris, but I believe the judges made the right decision. Having seen his entire collection and based on his showing last night, I don't think he earned his spot in the final three. He's so inventive, but I feel like he felt the novelty of the materials made the clothes more interesting then they really were.
Those that know me know that I actually have a phobia of disembodied hair touching me. Fur, wigs, drain clogs; all of these things make me freak out and become physically ill. I was already off-put by the photos of Chris' collection without any knowledge of his human hair trim and skirt, but after hearing that...*shudder*. Tim was right on. Chris couldn't smell the monkey house...
I really love his personality, but I think it was evident that Rami believed he deserved to be and would be in the final three and Chris was already resigned to his fate. He got to showcase his amazing costuming talents and larger-than-life personality for all of us, but he's no Jean Paul Gaultier. He seems to have a great zest for life, so why did I feel like I was watching a fashion funeral procession? I really feel like he just couldn't be a high fashion designer without a team up with someone of a much higher taste level (if you don't win, Christian...think about it).

*Disclaimer: These photos are all from the Bryant park runway with the exception of Rami's blue coat.*

Chris:
Photobucket
I love the top of this dress. It reminds me of the Great Gatsby or some other roaring 20s vintage/costuming. But a hair skirt? *shivering*

Photobucket
I like the vintage styling on this. It's like a 20s/30s cover of Vogue ladie's suiting. But there's so much hair! *sobs*

Photobucket
I actually hate this. It must look great in person or something, since Tim liked it, but maybe he just gravitated to the one without the hair...

Rami:
Photobucket
Beautiful. A red carpet dress if not for the thigh-doubling panels.

Photobucket
I loved this dress the best. So sexy.

SPOILER ALERT...
Photobucket
They were right. Tim tried to talk you out of this ridiculously fussy and over-structured coat. Thankfully, all the criticism stopped you from using it in the finale as far as I can make out.

I say Christian for the win...See you next week. I'm excited to see the designs in motion!

No comments: