Saturday, November 21, 2009

Finale Part 2 - Bryant Park Fizzle

I didn't jump on blogging for this episode because it was such a disappointment. I saw it coming, but it didn't make it any less painful.
First we'll start with an episode rundown.
Carol Hannah is a train wreck. Vomiting, weeping, whatever happened to baby jane crazytown. Somehow she snaps out of it around the time they do hair and makeup consultations.
Tim expresses concerns about Irina and Althea having a similar messy smoky eye on the runway. Irina says "That's Althea." That bitch still thinks that Althea is copying her because hey both do knits and a smoky eye? Seriously? That's like saying she copied her because they both used red fabric (if only - more like all black). Everybody does a smoky eye. The grand irony here:
nymag.com/irina used another copyright for her shirts like a true ho
That's right, after being told she was using a copyrighted image for her first t shirt design, she writes out "reasons I love New York" lifted straight out of NY Mag 2008 Reasons to Love New York list.
Plus, she was outsmarted by a hotel deadbolt.

Tim was more upset than I've ever seen him before the show started. They must have really been running behind. Unprofesh.

The other worst part of the show...The designers introducing their collections.
Althea was the worst I've ever seen. Wearing Ugg Boots, it was like a spontaneous drunk wedding toast more than a practiced/professional introduction. Irina's was also bad.
ew's coverage of Project Runway finale when it happened in Feb
I found out after the fact that the designers did not introduce their collections to the crowd or appear on the runway. That was all tv editing. They actually introduced their collections to an empty house before their shows started. I don't know whether that makes the results better or worse. They were probably distracted, and definitely not trying to impress anyone...but they can't blame it on nervousness from public speaking. I'm upset that the show decided not to address this situation at all. They certainly had the time during a protracted legal battle...

The guest judge:
Suzy Menkes
It's mean but I have to say it, she's a hot Mrs. Doubtfire-esque mess. That hairstyle!

So here's the runway:

Althea
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Carol Hannah
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Irina
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

What do I really like? Althea's green dress, CH's long black/maybe purple? satiny gown and her teal 13th look dress. That's it.
I felt instantly when the runway was finished that Irina would win, no contest. Did I particularly love or want any of her pieces? No.
However, she was the only one who had a connective thread and brought drama to the runway. I think she was incredibly stupid to do another black piece for her 13th look. I am not interested in her future career in the slightest.
I prefer Carol Hannah two the other two designers. I love some of her stuff, but did not enjoy the tulle barrel skirt or the teal barber's cape. I think she was trying too hard to be "edgy."

I was annoyed that they did let's meet the judges twice.

This may be a familiar rant, but I feel compelled to make it. I think that as the show has gone on, the execution quality of garments has skyrocketed in inverse proportion to creativity. I believe that the competition to be a part of the show increasing has done a great disservice to PR. When the contestants consisted of talented amateurs, we got people with ideas that were out there, who hadn't necessarily already worked in the industry or had classical training and fashion schooling and didn't know the "rules." That meant they weren't constrained by the can and can'ts of the fashion industry, but only by their own imaginations. I think taking PR pro was a huge mistake, and I can only hope they end up with a professional wunderkind who hasn't had success - which seems farfetched.

They mean it when they say that this was the most talented crop of designers yet, but what do they have to show for it? Nothing but lackluster already seen before garments. No bold statements. Certainly nothing I would rush out to buy.
Leanne was more creative than all three of these women put together.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That little green number, with the leather jacket is CUTE!