Friday, September 11, 2009

Pitchmen aka trying to drum up interest in Models of the Runway

Another Thursday, another PR. This ep kicks off with Gordana telling Q that she didn't stand up for herself with Epperson. Does she stand up for herself? Of course not, instead she deflects..."anyways, I'm just glad it's over."
They meet up with Heidi on the runway and she tells them about the 13 women waiting for them. Clueless Nicolas (because I don't think he has a funny bone in his body - so it can't be a joke) says it could be "homeless people to eskimos." Yes, why haven't they had the homeless chic challenge yet? It's certainly timely given the economic climate.
Despite the teaser misdirection - Logan referring to his smurf prom dress, we learn that this is not another prom challenge, but a Models of the Runway industry event. Yes, I subjected myself to yet ANOTHER crappy MotR episode to tell you that this event was just a crappy rooftop "party" aka excuse for the Tacky and grossly tanned brainchild behind Von Dutch and Ed Hardy - Christian Audigier (I would expect nothing less. Von Dutch: see trucker hats for douchebags; Ed Hardy: see Ts for douchebags) to paw at the models.
He was the ONLY "designer" pointed out at this "important" industry party.
I digress.
The designers have 30 min consultation w their models, $100 to spend at Mood, and 1 day to design the look.

Consultation Time
-Johnny says it's like designing something for myself if I was a black girl. So it's more like designing something for a black girl, that's not you right

-Matar is annoying and gives a long list of creative input that is all contradictory. Luckily, Epperson is the boss (see: Marriage w Q) and takes her ramblings with a grain of salt.

-Q never designs anything in black - because why would someone so tacky want to design in the chic-est color out there?

Tim
"Have fun with your models, but not too much fun"
This makes me think that Logan has been working the model pool...

I LOVED the neatly encapsulated Epperson family "drama." Every one misses their family during PR, but your big boy pants on and get over it. Man, the producers laid that one on thick with the giant family photos on the workbench, the tearful phone call, and then the subsequent weepy sewing scene. It's called subtlety son, and it's more effective than your hamfisted antics. Let's leave out a pipe for Johnny to find and make some really compelling t.v.

I swear Johnny's model called her vagina her "treasure" when he was adjusting the length of her skirt. I threw up in my mouth a little.

Cut to day 2 and the designers are leaving home for the workroom. Q bends over to grab a bag and she looks like a $2 ho in that outfit. I guess that tacky designer doesn't fall far from the tacky dresser tree.

The judges are a sea of strangers this week...
Marc Bouwer - an american designer (standing in for Michael Kors)
Zoe Glazner - editor for Marie Claire (standing in for Nina Garcia)
Jennifer Rade - a costume designer and celeb stylist
Man did JR have attitude! I LOVED her. More guest judges with teeth like this please.

Althea
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
You know, I kinda like it, but I felt like it was tonally wrong for a party.

Carol Hannah
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
This dress looked so good on the tv to me, the colors were richer and the movement was great. I don't like it as much in these stills. In my notes I just wrote 'best'.

Christopher
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
It's kinda ugly and it kinda works. I guess the color is good and that's what makes it compelling...it is like a vegetable, and I'm not convinced that black was the best contrast color.

Epperson
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Another love/hate. Totally unwearable and slutty, but also strangely compelling. It must be a very well-executed high class hooker look?

Gordana
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
I don't like it. I don't get her aesthetic at all; looks like something you could buy at Cache. It reads old.

Irina
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
I'm totally getting the dog inspiration here. It looks like something Elle Woods would wear to a funeral - with her chihuahua in her bag. She needs a bigger bag!

Johnny
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Wasn't particularly flattering or original. It was sweet, I guess, but the judges called it - bridesmaid.

Logan
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
You are lucky you're hot, cuz this is a hot mess.

Louise
Photobucket
Photobucket
Well done, nothing super wow, but way more tasteful than Q.

Nicolas
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
I dunno, it was kinda wrong and kinda right. I think I like the collar, but the dress fabric is not right and the top fit was odd.

Q
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Tacky, but better than her work with colors.

Ra'mon
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
The obvious inspiration = Photobucket
That being said, I think this dress is better looking than that vintage Cache dress (ironic, isn't it?) from Sex and the City. snaps for that. I wouldn't wear it, but it has a certain something.

Shirin
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
I liked the back, but when I really thought about it, I realized the whole thing was an ice skating costume. I should know, I loved ice skating when I was a little girl. More than ponies.

1 comment:

Stu said...

What about ponies on ice skates?