Friday, October 3, 2008

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

I am finally at a loss for words.
Somehow, in the words of Tim Gunn, I must carry on.

This week, the designers went to the New York Botanical Garden and were given an hour to take photos to be used as inspiration for an evening gown. Collier Strong was there to provide expostion. Kenley Collins was there to be a pain in our collective asses.

Kenley is a heinous hose beast. She has made some attractive designs over the course of the season. The dress that she made for this challenge was a bootable offense. Combine that with her awful attitude, and I'm not sure that the judges had a defensible position keeping her on.
Let's explore some Kenleyisms:

Leanne sabotaged her outfit and made it look foolish? A good outfit can't be sabotaged by funny walking...

"Half of my childhood was spent miles away from land so I can be as loud and obnoxious as I want"
Actually, that can should be replaced by could. You could be loud and obnoxious with impunity with no one around to be harrassed, but in polite society there are certain rules of decorum. You don't treat people who are giving you a tremendous opportunity and help like something stuck to your retro shoe.

"I don't like anything the other designers do"
Just change it to - I don't like anything or anyone but myself.
It's been done many times by Hugh Grant.

"I'm really glad we're getting a second chance"
Delusional if you don't think the second chance was all yours.

and the grandaddy of them all:
In defense of her ugly dress,
"I wanted to stay away from pretty" and "I wasn't going for elegant"
What the hell else is an evening gown supposed to be if it's not pretty or elegant? Ugly and trashy?

Unsurprisingly, everyone wanted Kenley out except for Kenley, and apparently the judges.
They were a united front against her. The group hug at the end with Tim excluded her by her choice. She needs to put on her big girl pants and start treating people like they are people. Her livelihood depends on her ability to care about someone besides herself. She can't become a successful designer without others to support her.

Jerell
Photobucket
Photobucket
The idea is very pretty. It's also very messy. The hem was plain ugly and the clevage was scandalous (I think due to poor construction rather than by design). It reminded me of a courtesan costume rather than a high fashion garment because it was unpolished.


Kenley
Photobucket
Photobucket
Pug ugly. Unflattering and awkward. Not inspired by plants at all.


Korto
Photobucket
Photobucket
It is very safe and predictable and Jessica McClintock-y. I thought the fit was pretty, but the chest seemed weirdly pointy.


Leanne
Photobucket
Photobucket
The top is absolutely fabulous. The skirt was off, particularly in the back. I would've chosen you for the win because you had much fewer execution problems than Jerell.

I've seen the final collections, so I recuse myself from selecting my probable final three. I just wished I could love someone this season as much as I hate Kenley. I miss Christian and Daniel V and Austin Scarlet...

1 comment:

Marleaux said...

I refuse to check out the winners. If I even spy a PR spoiler on a site, I’ll immediately hit the X…

Kenleyisms? Liz, you are a genius! LMAO. Ugly? & Trashy? Exactly…

Korto’s love very pageanty. Glad she scaled down on the lace. That woulda been the end for her…

I loved Jarell’s outfit, but the execution was awful. Upon scrolling down just now, I realized the bottom layer of his dress was sequin. Neat. It gives another layer of visual appeal, without being in your face. And the colors worked well with each other.

The back of Leanne’s dress was awful. Loved the front though. She could have left out that extra bit hanging in the front also…